Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 6~ Arches/delicate arch/sand dune arch...

Curtis told me today was my day to plan. So, I got a hiking book, and read through some that sounded fun. Our first stop was at Subway to get some food to hike up to the arch for lunch. I wanted to hike delicate arch first...a must see. The hike was 3 miles round trip and atlin and logan were such troopers. I was one proud momma!
AT the trailhead there were some cool petrogyphs on the wall...I think they meant that this was good hunting grounds.
Curtis ready to roll. Usually him and Logan blaze the trail but this time Atlin was keeping up too.

The hike up had a lot of pure rock face just going up and up. It was very cool. Atlin rounding the mountain side to the arch.

Curtis and Logan eating Subway at the arch. Man, Subway is even really good on the trail. I wonder if my cooking would taste any better in the great outdoors?

The wonder of Delicate arch!




This was sandstone arch rated the "kids favorite arch" in my hiking book... And it didn't dissappoint. The sand was so fine we had to take our shoes off and walk barefoot. It was so fun to sit in the cool canyon, climb rocks and play in the sand. Logan said it was his favorite arch. Atlin got after some kids that were climbing on top of the arch because it was against park rules.






This is Park Avenue....named after the tall skyscrapers on Park Ave in New York City...except this was the first arch today that wasn't full of people...we had it all to ourselves.


This was a short 1 mile hike all down hill...the boys were glad of that. Curtis dropped us off at the trail head and he parked at the end and hiked up to meet us. He met us at the end of the trail where we got to see pot holes in the rock where water had collected and little aquatic creatures called home. We saw tadpoles and tiny little shrimp.


We were guessing this huge rock was pieces of another arch that had fallen.
So, tomorrow onto the rest of our Great Circle trip...I may not beable to blog unless we can get wifi in our hotel room..if not....well, keep checking I will post when I can. WE will miss Moab...this sure has been a fun town.



















1 comment:

Us Lochers said...

I love it! Maybe one day you can take me there!