Sunday, June 14, 2009

Day 10 cont.... Meteor Crater...Arizona

This meteor crater was created by a meteor estimated to be about as big as my house but it came hurtling through the earth's atmosphere at 40,000 miles per hour. So, it made a huge explosion and dug it's way into the earth crust so deep hardly any of the remnants have been found...either that or it imploded on impact. It was believed to have been a volcano for a long time until someone (I can't remember his name)got people to believe that meteor's do exist and can pass through the earth's atmosphere. Could this have been the cause of the extinction of dinosaurs so long ago? Logan was so facinated with this crater...he just loved learning everything about it and I can't believe how much he knows about rocks! I don't even think I know this kid! The things he has been teaching us about what he learned over the course of the school year is still astounding me. I guess he was just waiting until vacation to impart the extent of his knowledge..either that or I wasn't listening before. That is entirely possible.

The crew on the rim of the meteor crater.

Curtis exploring the bottom of the crater...or at least pretending like he is. People aren't allowed to go inside the crater but for as much as you have to pay to get in they should take you on a balloon ride to the bottom to dine on lobster tail;)


No comments: