Sunday, June 14, 2009

Day 11~ Walnut Canyon..Flagstaff, AZ

Walnut canyon is only about 5 or 10 miles outside of Flagstaff...hard to believe such amazing-ness is so close to our hotel room;) This hike had 300 steps down to the indian cliff dwellings and there was a whole herd of people in front and behind us so it wasn't the most optimal conditions. But, the people thinned out, gave up or fell off the cliff I don't know but then we were able to mosey around the dwellings at our own pace. We aren't the biggest fans of crowds. It was nice that the trail started at the visitor center and ended at the visitor center so the boys were able to travel at their own pace too which was usually faster than ours since we would stop and read every sign. We knew that we would find them at the top waiting for us;)
We walk out of the visitor center and this huge canyon opens up at our feet...so amazing! Around the center island the indians made their homes under the overhang of the rock.

Our 1 mile hike went past at least 25 dwellings in the rock. I can't believe how these people lived in such small spaces in such dangerous places! But the view is so amazing!

Logan in one of the storage rooms...or the burial room...they don't really know what each of the rooms were for...all I know is I have no idea where they went to the bathroom. They couldn't go off in the bushes because the bushes were hanging on to the cliffs.
We trudged back up the 300 steps to the top again...this time no one in our way and we didn't stop...man, I could feel the burn. Wish I could do that every day!

No comments: