Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 12~ Sunset Crater/Wupatki Natl Monuments..AZ

We stopped at Sunset Crater on our way out of Flagstaff and hiked around the crater trail. It was such a beautiful day for a hike. The whole trail was littered with sharp lava rock or aa (ahah) as it is called by the native people. The whole mountain range behind us is the San Fransico peaks and all of them used to be one volcano. The whole area was just covered in lava fields. I can only imagine what it must have looked like when it erupted in around 1040AD. Looked like it could have happened less than 30 years ago to me.
Sunset Crater

Curtis and Logan at the obligatory park sign. I think I got all the signs of all the parks we went to with the exception of two...sunset crater and the anasazi ruins (which we parked our car right next to and I still forgot).
Pueblo ruins...pretty impressive.
There was this cool hole in the ground it was called the Blowhole. Curtis and I did the hike alone while the boys hung out in the visitor center...but when we found this treasure I had to go get the boys and bring them to see it. This was a hole that blew cold air...some tunnel system in the earth's crust that blew over water and out this hole. It smelled like a damp cave. But, it felt so nice out in the heat. I can only imagine the treasure it must have been for the tribes that passed through here all through the years. No one knows exactly what the tribes used the blow holes for (there were others in the area)but it sure was amazing to us. The boys and I took deep breaths of the cool fresh air and felt immediately invigorated.




No comments: