Sunday, April 6, 2008

9 more miles to go!

As I am training for my 1/2 marathon everytime I am running one thought comes to mind...a scripture actually; run and not be weary, walk and not faint. I would love to run and not be weary...and I think of this everytime I am running my long runs. It gives me the strength to run a little faster a little longer.

Yesterday I had to run 9 miles...(a year ago I could barely run three). I wasted time on Saturday until noon and that was a mistake because the wind starts blowing in Green River promptly at 12:30 everyday. It was cold, I didn't have a jacket and around mile 3 it started to snow. I saw the snow as Satan trying to be my adversary to get me to give up and go home...so I ran and I ran until I met my goal. It actually started and stopped snowing about four times during the course of my run. I did okay, it took me a solid two hours and by the time I was done my legs were numb and my right foot was tingling from my shoe being too tight I guess. But, the point is I finished! I did what I thought I would never be able to do and I was so proud of myself that I cried tears of joy all the way home. Of course my family didn't know what to think when I came in the house with my sports bra stuffed with used Kleenex, my nose as red as a tomato, tears pouring out of my eyes and barely being able to walk. But, they loved me anyways and all gave me hugs. It is too hard for a child to understand that you can be moved to tears for more reasons than just being sad.

Next week is my 10 miler and then the 1/2 marathon...Darla, Anna and I will conquer this race...even if someone has to drag us across the finish line! We won't win,not even close; but we are doing it and for that I am so proud of all of us. I can't wait to cross this goal off of my life list and to beable to share it with two of my sisters is even better!

3 comments:

Us Lochers said...

YAY Rhonda! How exciting. I know how you feel about just doing it made you feel awesome! When I ran 10- miles on my cruise, I felt like a million bucks. BUT last week when I couldn't even do one mile.... I sobbed and sobbed.

I think I will be okay, I plan on running every day to make sure I can run the 13.1 miles!

Nancy said...

I am so proud of you guys doing the training and sacrificing and all the other not so fun things that go along with long distance running. You are awesome!!!

jayne said...

I so wish I could be doing this with you! Maybe in a few years when I'm out of birthing mode, and I live closer, I'll join you. Way to go!!